Dealing With Flood DamageThe first step after your home is damaged by a flood is to contact your insurance company and open a claim. Your insurance company will then send an adjuster to assess the damage to your home. It is essential to have documentation of the damage, so be sure to take photos or videos of the damage before you begin making any repairs. Your insurance company will likely give you two options for repairing your home:
- You can receive a check for the estimated cost of repairs and make the repairs yourself.
- The insurance company can send a contractor to make the repairs for you.
Common Flood Damage Dispute Reasons
- The insurance company did not pay enough to cover the repair cost.
- The insurance company did not cover certain types of damage, such as mold or water damage to your personal belongings.
- The insurance company denied your claim altogether.