Dedicated Personal Injury Attorney Defending Your Interests and Claims in Melbourne, FLGetting involved in a motor vehicle accident is a traumatic experience requiring assistance and understanding from different resources as you navigate the situation. In addition to attending to medical injuries and property damage caused by the car accident, legal matters must be handled. These legal matters are complex in nature and time-sensitive. Thus, having a dependable personal injury lawyer is critical to help you ensure that your interests and rights are protected regarding your personal injury and motor vehicle accident claims.
Personal Injuries Caused By Motor Vehicle AccidentsA motor vehicle accident can occur in various ways and may include, but are not limited to, automobiles colliding with each other and a motor vehicle hitting a pedestrian or structure. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there is an estimated 5.5 million motor vehicle accidents annually in the United States. In addition, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) determined that car accidents are the second-highest cause of unintentional deaths in the United States, estimating that they cause death to over 12.4 people per 100,000 population. Although not all motor vehicle accidents lead to death, a majority cause injury and property damage of varying magnitude that could lead to lifelong injuries and costly damages. Thus, motor vehicle accidents are considered a severe matter that occurs too frequently to be ignored.
What Are The Most Common Motor Vehicle Accidents?The most common causes of motor vehicle accidents are split between two general categories: those caused by driver error and those caused by factors other than driver error.
Car Accidents Caused By Driver or Human ErrorTypically, motor vehicle accidents are those caused by the driver or human error, such as when:
- The driver was not fully paying attention to the road ahead since they were distracted. Some common triggers include but are not limited to, taking directions from the GPS, conversations with the passengers, or the radio.
- The driver was driving recklessly or dangerously by not following traffic rules. It does not matter if the violation is for minor traffic law. Since every traffic rule is meant to serve a purpose, even a minor infraction could have severe consequences and lead to a motor vehicle accident.
- The driver was driving while drunk or under the influence of a drug. These are serious criminal offenses punishable by the law and the civil lawsuit that the driver's victims could file against them.
- The driver had a heart attack, panic attack, or other serious medical issues.
- The driver was fatigued that they were so tired, drowsy, or suffering from a headache. These conditions could significantly undermine the driver's ability to drive safely and effectively.
Automobile Accidents Not Caused By Driver or Human ErrorThere are also incidents attributed to car accidents that are heavily caused by other factors, including:
- The weather conditions may have caused the road to be slippery or challenging driving conditions. The weather does not have to be extreme to cause issues or difficult driving conditions. Even modest or mild changes in the weather condition may cause dangerous driving situations.
- Potholes, uneven roads, and debris in the street can all cause motor vehicle accidents as they pose challenges in driving conditions.
- Poorly maintained road signs or malfunctioning traffic lights could also pose driving challenges and thus cause motor vehicle accidents.
- Defects or malfunctioning car parts could also lead to motor vehicle accidents. Thus, it is essential to maintain one's car adequately maintained to lessen the possibility of getting into a car accident.